Terms & conditions
The content (content being images, text, sound and video files, programs and scripts) of this website is copyright © Royal Statistical Society. All rights expressly reserved. You agree to abide by all copyright notices and restrictions attached to the content and not to remove or alter any such notice or restriction.
Acceptable use policy
The content of this website can be accessed, printed and downloaded in an unaltered form (altered including being stretched, compressed, coloured or altered in any way so as to distort content from its original proportions or format) with copyright acknowledged, on a temporary basis for personal study that is not for a direct or indirect commercial use and any non-commercial use. Any content printed or downloaded may not be sold, resold, licensed, transferred, copied or reproduced in whole or in part in any manner or in or on any media to any person without the prior written consent of the Significance magazine, including but not limited to:
- transmission by any method
- storage in any medium, system or program
- display in any form
- hire, lease, rental or loan, or any other form of exploitation
Other than expressly permitted by the terms and conditions specific to individual services, you may not without the prior written consent of Significance magazine:
- systematically extract and/or re-utilise parts of the contents of the website, including but not limited to the utilisation of any data mining, robots, or similar data gathering and extraction tools to extract (whether once or many times) for re-utilisation of any substantial parts of this website
- create and/or publish your own database that features substantial parts of this website, including but not limited to, our prices and product/service listings.
You agree not to:
- impersonate another person or use a false name or a name you are unauthorised to use or create a false identity or e-mail address or try to mislead others as to the identity or origin of any communications;
- make available or upload files that contain software or other material, data or information not owned or licensed to you or collect information about others (eg names/addresses) without their prior consent;
- damage, interfere with or disrupt access to the website or any of the services delivered through such website or do anything which may interrupt or impair their functionality;
- publish, post, distribute, disseminate or otherwise transmit defamatory, offensive, infringing, obscene, indecent or other unlawful or objectionable material or information;
- threaten, harass, stalk, abuse, disrupt, cause inconvenience or distress or otherwise violate the rights (including rights of privacy and publicity) of others;
- use the content or the website for any illegal or improper purpose,
- make available, upload or distribute by any means any material or files that contain any viruses, bugs, corrupt data, “trojan horses”, “worms” or any other harmful software.
Significance magazine retains the right to prevent you from accessing the website or any of the services provided through the website, without prejudice to any of our accrued rights, where we in our reasonable discretion consider that you are contravening our Acceptable Use Policy or any other term or condition of these
Requests for permission to reproduce material from this website should be addressed to us as follows:
Text and all other types of material:
Significance magazine has made every reasonable effort to locate, contact and acknowledge copyright owners and wishes to be informed by any copyright owners who are not properly identified and acknowledged on this website so that we may make any necessary corrections.
Other individuals and organisations wishing to make the Significance magazine content accessible through their websites are encouraged to create hypertext links to the required content on this website.
The citation protocol for material from this website must adhere to the following format:
Author, Year, Title of Page, Type of Publication, and the Universal Resource Locator (URL) code
Significance magazine. 2010. How to Cite Material from this Website. World Wide Web Publication, www.significancemagazine.com.
Significance magazine provides extensive links to other independent sites, but this policy statement applies only to direct use of this website. You will need to consult the providers of other websites for information on their policies.
This website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”). Google Analytics uses “cookies”, which are text files placed on your computer, to help the website analyze how users use the site. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of the website, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google’s behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google.
Significance magazine has prepared the content of this website responsibly and carefully, but disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy of the information contained in any of the materials on this website or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. This includes, but is not by way of limitation:
- any implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose
- any liability for damage to your computer hardware, data, information, materials and business resulting from the information or the lack of information available
- any errors, omissions, or inaccuracies in the information
- any decision made or action taken or not taken in reliance upon the information
Significance magazine makes no warranty as to the content, accuracy, timeliness or completeness of the information or that the information may be relied upon for any reason and bears no responsibility for the accuracy, content or legality of any linked site or for that of any subsequent links. Significance magazine makes no warranty that the website service will be uninterrupted or error-free or that any defects can be corrected.
Significance magazine shall not be liable for any losses or damages (including without limitation consequential loss or damage) whatsoever from the use of, or reliance on, the information in its website, or from the use of the Internet generally. Any links to other websites do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by Significance magazine of any products, services, policies or opinions of the organisation or individual.
These disclaimers and exclusions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales under the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales. Those who choose to access this site from outside the United Kingdom are responsible for compliance with local laws if and to the extent local laws are applicable.
What websites do we link to?
Significance magazine’s experts recommend external web links on the basis of their suitability and usefulness for our users. Selection and addition of links to our website is entirely a matter for Significance magazine and for the Significance magazine alone.
It is not our policy to enter into agreements for reciprocal links.
The inclusion of a link to an organisation’s or individual’s website does not constitute an endorsement or an approval by Significance magazine of any product, service, policy or opinion of the organisation or individual. Significance magazine is not responsible for the content of external websites.
What websites will we not link to?
We will not link to websites that contain racist, sexual or misleading content; that promote violence; that are in breach of any UK law; which are otherwise offensive to individuals or to groups of people.
The decision of Significance magazine is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
If you wish to report a concern, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notice and Takedown policy
If you are a rights holder and are concerned that you have found material on our website, for which you have not given permission, or is not covered by a limitation or exception in national law, please contact us in writing stating the following:
- Your contact details.
- The full bibliographic details of the material.
- The exact and full url where you found the material.
- Proof that you are the rights holder and a statement that, under penalty of perjury, you are the rights holder or are an authorised representative.
Upon receipt of notification the ‘Notice and Takedown’ procedure is then invoked as follows:
- Significance magazine will acknowledge receipt of your complaint by email or letter and will make an initial assessment of the validity and plausibility of the complaint.
- Upon receipt of a valid complaint the material will be temporarily removed from Significance magazine website pending an agreed solution.
- Significance magazine will contact the contributor who deposited the material, if relevant. The contributor will be notified that the material is subject to a complaint, under what allegations, and will be encouraged to assuage the complaints concerned.
- The complainant and the contributor will be encouraged to resolve the issue swiftly and amicably and to the satisfaction of both parties, with the following possible outcomes:
- The material is replaced on Significance magazine website unchanged.
- The material is replaced on Significance magazine website with changes.
- The material is permanently removed from the website.
- If the contributor and the complainant are unable to agree a solution, the material will remain unavailable through Significance magazine until a time when a resolution has been reached.
Fair Processing Notice
Royal Statistical Society collects information directly from you or from our business partners when you express an interest in or sign up to one of our services. We or our appointed agents as well as carefully selected business partners may use this information to:
- Provide you with information and updates on the topics you have expressed an interest in.
- Contact you by email about products, events, your service or related services we and our partners are offering. Where you provide email contact information, you consent to us using these to communicate with you. You may stop communications or change your interests with us at any time by logging onto your user account with us and updating your profile.
- Help run, and contact you about improving the way we run, our services.
- Promote our business, recognising excellence, advancing the science of statistics and promoting use and awareness for public benefit.
- Create statistics and member profiles, test computer systems and analyse user preferences.
- Help prevent and detect crime and loss.
- Help train our staff.
We may also monitor and record any communications we have with you, including emails, to make sure we are providing a good service and meeting our responsibilities.
We may also share your information with individuals or user groups associated with the topics you have expressed an interest in for those organisations and individuals to better understand its audience or for any purpose mentioned above.
The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to know what information we hold about you, for which we charge a small fee (currently £10), and to have any inaccuracies corrected. Such requests should be made in writing to the Data Controller, The Royal Statistical Society, 12 Errol Street, London EC1Y 8LX